From the Romans to the present
Vines have flourished at Cabrières since the Roman invasions. Its reputation was built on its rosé wines, which were among the first recognized as VDQS*, followed by its incredible reds. Today, the two colours have come together forming an Appellation d’Origine Protégée in Cabrières’s own right. . * Vin délimité de Qualité supérieure.
Founded by the Romans, revived by monks
The Cabrières vineyard was born in the 1st or 2nd century AD. Known as the era of pax romana, it was a period when Languedoc wines flourished. The region’s wines were exported to Italy, Greece, Germany. In addition, wine amphora were produced near Cabrières. Under the influence of the Carolingians, the Chateau de Cabrières became the centre of the District. Later, local peasants cleared the land with the support of Benedictine monks from Aniane, where St Benedict founded his first Abbey in 780AD, restoring it for grape production. His companion, Nymphus, brought the Cabrières vineyards back to life.
Seigneurial vinyards in the Middle Ages
Early in the 12th century, viticulture continued to prosper thanks to the Cabrières Seigneurs. The four parishes surrounding the Chateau came under the Prior responsible for training seminarists for the priesthood. Their communion wine came from Cabrières, as testified in the Will of the local Guilhem Stephani who, before leaving on a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella , gifted communion wine to the church. Other seigneurial documents include reference to Cabrières vines in the 13th and 14th centuries.
The influence of the Templars
Early references to Tiberet date from 1167 and 1174, but in a charter of 1184 we learn that St Mary of Tiberet was part of the Templars’ command post of Sainte Eulalie du Larzac (of Cernon) in the Aveyron, whose Prior was a certain B… In an Act it was transferred to the Templars of Lodève. Then in 1224, another Act transferred the Chateau of Cabrières to the Pezenas Templars who were represented by their commander, Bernard de la Case, who made a gift of a building site at the foot of the chateau to Adalais de Cazouls and Cabrières, the widow of Imbert de Cabrières. It later became the ‘Domaine du Temple’.
This ‘golden’ red wine
In 1357, the village records mention Cabrières’ “red gold” wine which was served at every official banquet. These form some of the earliest records of the reputation of this outstanding terroir’s wines.
Present without a break
From Roman times to the present day, vines have been a distinct part of the Cabrières landscape. Initially its reputation was based on rosé wines. Recognised as VDQS in 1955, they were the first rosés to be recognized as Coteaux du Languedoc. The reds followed, achieving VDQS status in 1963. In 1985 the whole vineyard area was classified as AOC Coteaux du Languedoc-Cabrières. Since 2010, the Cabrières denomination formally adopted specific rules within the AOC Languedoc, with special emphasis on the production of rosé wines.